Thursday, November 17, 2016

Adulthood

I spent last weekend at Great Wolf Lodge, easily the most fun I’ve ever had at a hotel. We accidentally booked the “accessible” suite, which is just a nice way of saying “grab rails on every vertical surface and a phone next to the toilet”. Also, extra-wide doorways, which wasn’t a bad thing given that my travel companion is legally blind without his glasses.

The hotel has an arcade, mini golf, and an indoor water park with water slides. I had to dig my swimsuit out of the back of my closet for the first time in years.

Here’s the thing about my swimsuit: it’s technically a two-piece, but it has long sleeves and it fits like a comfortable turtleneck. It is also a turtleneck. I’ve long had an aversion to indoor pools, direct sunlight, and tight-fitting clothes. So my extremely modest swimsuit (I’m completely covered from knees to neck) makes sense. It was purchased sometime in the 90s for my younger brother, and later handed down to me. I am still wearing it two decades later, so I can confidently say we got our money’s worth.

The arcade is open 24 hours, and we spent at least 24 hours in it. The first morning, I woke up at 6:00 am to play Skee Ball, and after a few hours I had a couple of kids watching me while the machine hemorrhaged ribbons of tickets for my wins (I’m pretty good at Skee Ball). The second night we both stayed up all night playing games, and by the time we checked out Sunday morning we had enough tickets between us to buy almost anything from the prize counter.

Emerging from the arcade with a bag full of prizes (including a Fitbit), making our way through the parking lot to the car, we passed an old station wagon which had been painted in fluorescent colours and stuck all over with shoes, toys, and assorted knick-knacks. My friend remarked to me, “Some people just have too much time on their hands.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home