Monday, June 26, 2006

My Mom Doesn't Think I'm Cool

In grade 8 I was painfully geeky (hard to imagine, I know). I was in advanced math, chess club, and I carried a voltmeter around in my backpack. And unlike most geeks, I couldn't even say "my mom thinks I'm cool". My own mother did not think I was cool, and here's how I know:

The day after parent-teacher interviews, I came home earlier than usual. I could hear my mother on the phone with another parent, talking about the teachers they had met the night before. My mother was saying, "that art teacher, Mrs. Robinson, seems really cool. I think she's one of those cool teachers that get along really well with the cool kids. Of course, Thea isn't cool."

This didn't come as a huge surprise, but it was shocking to hear my mom say it. Since grade 8 I have become less geeky, but I'm pretty sure my mom is still cooler than me.

5 Comments:

At 7:05 PM, Blogger chibijoyce said...

oo burn! does she know u heard her??

 
At 11:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe I'm missing something here, but why did you need the voltmeter? Or was it just a status thing?

 
At 2:22 PM, Blogger thea said...

I never brought it up, so I guess she doesn't know.

As for the voltmeter, I sometimes also carried around batteries, bits of wire and some little motors. I liked to play with this stuff during class.

Of course, as long as you're surrounded by morons (most grade 8 girls), the voltmeter is fun all by itself. They believed almost anything I said. For example, "this is a generator. I'm going to shock you." (followed by screams).

I wasn't very popular in grade 8.

 
At 8:28 AM, Blogger G said...

I carry around my oscilloscope with me....

Well, not really, but I have one. Not a very good one, but at least it's portable.

 
At 1:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I've stopped reading this blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home