Tuesday, April 29, 2008

The Ultimate Collector's Millennium Falcon

Last night my roommate said that he would love to own the Star Wars Lego set Millennium Falcon -the largest Lego set available.

"Of course," he added, "I would have to keep it hidden when I have people over."

Thinking of the sort of people he typically invites over, I assumed he meant he would hide it to prevent theft, or perhaps damage inflicted by clumsy people trying to re-enact Star Wars scenes. He then clarified that he wouldn't want anyone to think he's not cool. Gabe pointed out that most of his current friends would probably think more of him for building the Millennium Falcon, and in fact the set could act as a litmus test for new friends; anyone who doesn't think it's cool could automatically be rejected as a friend.

At this point I started laughing and told him that he already has plenty of litmus tests. I think he has rejected potential friends for saying 'comic book' instead of 'graphic novel' and I once nearly lost his friendship for referring to magic realism as a type of fantasy.

I'm not innocent of this either. I have rejected potential friends for misusing a pie chart (this really, seriously ticks me off). It's bad to reject friends for something so insignificant, but at least it's free. Using a Millenium Falcon Lego set to reject people costs $679.99.

4 Comments:

At 7:33 PM, Blogger Peter Lynn said...

How exactly are these people misusing pie charts, anyway? Are they eating them?

 
At 3:51 AM, Blogger Damien said...

I tried to think of a way to intentionally misuse a pie chart and couldn't.

 
At 3:56 AM, Blogger Damien said...

Also: correctly used pie chart

 
At 4:13 AM, Blogger thea said...

Damien, that's my current desktop picture. We should probably get married now.

I've just seen people use pie charts that were technically correct, but didn't convey the point they were trying to make, or were a clumsy way of doing so.

For example, the episode of King of the Hill where Peggy ropes Bill into a pyramid scheme and makes him do all the work. She draws a circle and tells him, "right now you're doing 100% of the work." She writes 'BILL' in the circle. Then she draws a bigger circle around the first one and says, "I need you to double your output."

I've never seen anything this bad, but there's an example.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home