Tuesday, October 25, 2005

I Misspelled My Own Name

About a year ago, I tried to apply for a student loan. I'm sure this isn't too hard for most people, but my name contains a symbol not included in the English language. When I typed it into the online form it looked ok, but then I hit enter and it came out completely wrong.

Once you have filled out all the forms, you can't easily change your name. You have to call a number, wait on hold for 20 minutes, then be told you're calling the wrong number, then call another number and be told you were right the first time. You give up for a year, then realize that you really do need the money, and go to Brock Hall.

At Brock Hall I tried to explain the problem to the woman behind the desk, which resulted in the following things being shouted across the office.

woman: Terry, what should a student do if they misspelled their own name on a student loan form?
Terry: What?
woman: (pointing at me) She misspelled her own name on her student loan form!

That last one drew some attention, and since there was an index finger pointed directly at my head, there wasn't much I could do.

Now I'm gonna go make other people feel bad about themselves.

3 Comments:

At 7:28 PM, Blogger chibijoyce said...

awww poor thea... was there an audience?
so.. then what happened...?

 
At 7:40 PM, Blogger thea said...

almost everyone who was in Brock Hall heard, and a lot of heads turned. It was pretty embarrasing.

The rest of the story is quite boring. I got some forms to fill out and I have to send in some ID photocopies.

 
At 12:46 AM, Blogger Dickolas Wang said...

This story alone guarantees you a 4th week atop the Richform Rankings.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home