Thursday, January 26, 2006

Science Week

Well, it's Science Week at UBC again. So I'll be getting a lot of free stuff and entertainment in exchange for sitting at the Math Club booth (a folding table in the SUB with a Math Club poster behind it) looking like an idiot for a few hours.

Last year I tried to make our booth cool. I put together a few sheets of math puzzles, brought prizes for anyone who could solve them, made a little banner, and put candy in a bowl for the hobos who wander through the SUB. It turns out that the 0.01% of the population who actually like math puzzles are either already in the math club, or next to us in the Physsoc booth, making our booth look even worse.

This year Science Week falls into one of my busiest weeks, so I had no time to do any of that stuff. What I do have time for is sitting at the booth studying Markov chains and thinking about how cool I must look. Yesterday I actually paid someone to sit at the booth with me.

On the other hand, the cooler your booth is, the more people you have to talk to. The more people I talk to, the more people I piss off, and if I'm going to be pissing people off on a large scale, I prefer to do it at a safe distance. Hence the blog. And the megaphone and bean bag launcher.

1 Comments:

At 12:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Being antisocial is great - when you're nice, you have to be nice all the time, but when you're not, you can be nice or otherwise whenever you want. Change it up all the time - keep everyone on their toes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home